One of our board members and prominent donors was involved in a newsworthy scandal and our organization remained quiet. Should we have said something? Stacey and Andy have thoughts! Also this week, we talk about how an executive director should handle a micro-managing founder, and answer an oddly specific question about stacking up consulting engagements. By the way, thanks for listening! We look forward to getting your questions, and would love for you to join us on Discord (see the link in the show notes, or on NonprofitEverything.com)!
This week, Stacey has some great ideas for appreciating staff! We also discuss red flags to watch out for when looking at accepting an Executive Director position, whether or not our coat drive really needs to be restricted to coats, and Andy & Stacey enthusiastically respond to, “why can’t I be both Board Chair and ED and everybody on the board is related?”
- Idea for appreciating staff – [skipto time="0:00"]
- Red Flags to watch out for when considering an Executive Director position – [skipto time="6:39"]
- Our coat drive was too successful, can we unrestrict some of the donations? – [skipto time="16:34"]
- Can I be board chair and ED and also be related to the whole board? – [skipto time="22:56"]
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Alliance for Nevada Nonprofits job board. Your one-stop shop for the next step in your career! Searching job listings is totally free, and ANN members receive a big discount when posting new jobs. There are dozens of nonprofit jobs available right here in Nevada (and out of state jobs, too!) Check it out at jobs.alliancefornevadanonprofits.com.
Should the Executive Director be on the Nominating Committee? Stacey knows! Also this week, Andy gets called out for being wrong about determination letters, and we find out all about Benefit Corporations and Certified B Corps.
- Should the Executive Director be on the nominating committee? – 0:00
- Does the IRS still send determination letters? – 6:52
- Is a Benefit Corporation a good option for do gooders? – 12:41
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Alliance for Nevada Nonprofits job board Your one-stop shop for the next step in your career! Searching job listings is totally free, and ANN members receive a big discount when posting new jobs. There are dozens of nonprofit jobs available right here in Nevada (and out of state jobs, too!) Check it out at jobs.alliancefornevadanonprofits.com.
What happens when you just need $75,000 more? Stacey knows. Returning genius and HR expert Mary Beth Hartleb tells us whether there’s such a thing as a verbal resignation, and we answer the age-old question, “Do we need an Executive Director or a CEO?”
- Help! We’re $25,000 short! – 0:00
- Is there such a thing as a “verbal resignation?” With Mary Beth Hartleb from Prism GMG – 8:18
- Should our top executive be an Executive Director or CEO? – 26:03
Today’s episode is sponsored by Brenda J. Stout, CPA, a full-service accounting firm specializing in Nonprofit Tax Compliance and IRS Problem Resolution.