One of our board members and prominent donors was involved in a newsworthy scandal and our organization remained quiet. Should we have said something? Stacey and Andy have thoughts! Also this week, we talk about how an executive director should handle a micro-managing founder, and answer an oddly specific question about stacking up consulting engagements. By the way, thanks for listening! We look forward to getting your questions, and would love for you to join us on Discord (see the link in the show notes, or on NonprofitEverything.com)!
This week: When a scammer called one of our donors pretending to be us, did we respond appropriately? Stacey has some thoughts. Also, is there value in using a search firm to help find our next Executive Director? And how do we deal with confidential employee complaints if they’re supposed to stay confidential? Join Andy and Stacey this week to find out!
- One of our donors got called by a scammer, and I don’t think we responded well enough. Did we?
- Is it worth it to use an executive search firm to find our next Executive Director?
- How do I handle an employee complaint if the employee wants me to keep everything confidential?
Is it a huge red flag when an organization has no fundraising expenses reported on their 990? That sounds like an easy enough question, but instead Stacey and Andy get all in the weeds about output factors, the birth of Guidestar, bacon double cheeseburgers and the dreaded overhead ratio question on grant applications. Also discussed: the governance implications of board members in love. Don’t miss this episode!
- Do we have a governance problem if two board members have started up a romantic relationship?
- Is it a red flag when an organization reports no fundraising expenses on their Form 990?
What are some board status quo things that need to change? Stacey has some ideas! Also, we have some strategies for helping a new manager that’s too quiet. Andy has thoughts on what financial policies are required, and we’ve included an encore answer (from June 2020) by Guest Expert John Waldron!
- What should we do to shake up a static board?
- How do I handle a new manager that won’t speak up?
- What financial policies should we have in place?
- Taking a stand on social justice issues, with Guest Expert John Waldron (Encore!)
What are the most important questions your board and staff should be able to answer about your organization? Stacey has some thoughts! Also, this week we talk about how to manage two very different employees, and continue our nonprofit startup conversation with a question about what a board member should look for in a startup nonprofit board.
- What questions about our organization should our board and staff be able to answer?
- What should a prospective board member be looking for in a nonprofit startup?
- How do I manage two employees who are completely different?
You’ve got the mission, you’ve got the board, you’ve got the business plan, you’ve got the 510(c)3 letter, now what? Stacey and Andy have some thoughts. Also, we find out whether or not you need written board reports, and once again wade into the shark-infested waters of finance vs. development.
- Is the finance team part of the development team or vice versa? – 0:00
- How do you get a nonprofit startup off the ground? – 8:09
- Is it normal for ED reports to the board to be written? – 21:08
Join us this week for a discussion about common questions on federal grants with guest expert Lisa Ruiz-Lee. Also, is there a way to get my Board to use the resources we develop for them? Stacey has some thoughts!
How do you know when it’s time to leave a failing nonprofit? (Guess what answer Stacey gives!) Also this week, we talk about whether a board should set staff salaries, …
Where do the responsibilities of the the board development committee start and fundraising staff start? Stacey has some thoughts! Plus, this week we find out when to process year-end donations, and how to keep up with the never-ending barrage of information that we need to know to keep current.
- How do I keep up with the everything I need to keep up with? It’s overwhelming! – 0:00
- Help! Our board development committee responsibilities overlap with our staff responsibilities! – 9:42
- What is your policy regarding year-end donations? Do you record based on the date received? – 19:10