You think your nonprofit is a mess? Wait until you hear this question — while it masquerades as a technical query about verbal resignations and bylaws, it gets weird fast! Also this week, Stacey and Andy share some thoughts about fundraising in a different state than the one you’re incorporated in, and we find out whether or not you are allowed to raise money before you actually get your determination letter back from the IRS.
Should the Executive Director be on the Nominating Committee? Stacey knows! Also this week, Andy gets called out for being wrong about determination letters, and we find out all about Benefit Corporations and Certified B Corps.
- Should the Executive Director be on the nominating committee? – 0:00
- Does the IRS still send determination letters? – 6:52
- Is a Benefit Corporation a good option for do gooders? – 12:41
Today’s episode is sponsored by the Alliance for Nevada Nonprofits job board Your one-stop shop for the next step in your career! Searching job listings is totally free, and ANN members receive a big discount when posting new jobs. There are dozens of nonprofit jobs available right here in Nevada (and out of state jobs, too!) Check it out at jobs.alliancefornevadanonprofits.com.
Hooray! Another Nonprofit 101 question! Is your IRS determination letter enough to not have to pay sales tax? Andy actually knows that one. This week we also find out what to do when a Board Chair won’t stand up to the scary Gala committee, and learn the difference between a sponsorship and a donation. We also discover both Stacey and Andy’s least favorite grant application question!
- Is having a 501(c)3 enough to not have to pay sales tax – [skipto time="0:00"]
- Our Board Chair won’t stand up to the Gala Committee. Help! – [skipto time="6:23"]
- What’s the best way to answer “prove this program is sustainable” on a grant application?- [skipto time="14:07"]
- What’s the difference between a Sponsorship and a Donation?- [skipto time="20:16"]
Today’s episode is sponsored by Brenda J. Stout, CPA, a full-service accounting firm specializing in Nonprofit Tax Compliance and IRS Problem Resolution.